March 07, 2012

TRACK-BY-TRACK REVIEW OF MDNA

The online edition of Britain's tabloid newspaper 'The Daily Mirror' has just posted a Track-by-track review of "MDNA" (below). -Last week, we've also published a review by Matthew Todd from Attitude Magazine, if you haven't seen it yet, click here!-
Girl Gone Wild
Take her track Celebration, zoop it up and make it bigger and better. It's a club track that feels young vibrant and fresh for an artist like Madonna. It's techno-pop-ready-for-radio-heaven. Very Benny Benassi and very much one for the kids – without it feeling like a mum-of-four is singing it. Phew.

Gang Bang
Let's get dirty and keep it mucky throughout. A stripped back filthy electro beat makes you want to get down. It's different to anything she's ever done. I especially liked the ending where she sings in a Human Nature stylee: “If you're gonna act like a bitch, then you're gonna die like a bitch.” And a shotgun noise kicks off. Boom.

I'm Addicted
Euphoric and addictive. This song needs to be played loud and for the satisfaction of a dance floor. It's heavily Benny Benassi and by the end you want to get up and squeal: “I'm addicted to your looooovvvvve.”

Turn Up The Radio
Why this wasn't the lead single on MDNA I'm not very sure. It's a stonker of a pop song. Her vocals are finally clear (well, not as worked on) and it gave me 'the tingle'. It's ready to go and an instant Madonna pop classic.

Give Me All Your Luvin'
The track that divided opinion from the start. Notably, the song sounds a lot better on speakers that can make your skin quiver through bass. But it feels far more forgettable pop compared to much of the album.

Some Girls
Finally, an Orbit song. This is probably the most cosmic of his tracks he's done with M. Her vocal is almost tinny and echoes. Bit rocky towards the end but it's an exciting introduction to a new wave Orbit.

Superstar
This was the one I wasn't immediately keen on – but the one that's in my head. It's lyrically very simple and definitely one that the star could pull a guitar out for to perform on tour. She sings: “Ooh, la la you're a superstar/ooh la la love the way that you are.” It's a little rockier than the others and more conventional.

I Don't Give A
This is probably the most interesting track on this album. She's nearly rapping again, there's a hip-hop feel. It feels like the Human Nature of Erotica – and clearly sending out messages about her marriage breakdown. She sings: “I tried to be a good girl / I tried to be your wife / I diminished myself / And I swallowed my light / I tried to become all / That you expect of me / And if I was a failure / I don’t give a …”

I'm a Sinner
Back to William Orbit and the Ray of Light guitar has been found. This track immediately reminds you why Madonna and Orbit worked so well first time around – there's even a return to the Erotica dirty whisper voice. It starts fairly slow but builds and builds to an orgasm of techno. Enjoy the ride on this one.

Love Spent
There's a gypsy string twang, a hauntingly high vocal and it's not instantly Orbit. Later in the song you realise it couldn't be more like him. It's about giving so much love that you're spent and, like the previous song, climaxes like a beauty.

Masterpiece
The theme song to W.E. brings the tempo right back down to a chilled vibe. This is the song that makes us realise that despite most of this album making us want to dance, the star is still able to chill out and relax those dancing shoes. It really feels like the come down song that gives you a big hug.

Falling Free
Well this one was a surprise. It made me instantly want to hear her singing it with just a guitar and a mic stand. It would be an acoustic dream. Her vocals are crisp and penetrate. It's obviously a song about letting go – but will she ever truly let go of the career she's worked so hard for?

Madonna, MDNA, March 26, Interscope Records.

2 comentarios:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting this! I cannot wait until March 26!! :D

Jim said...

Great review! I want MDNA right now!

Post a Comment